Friday, May 05, 2006

My Jesus by Todd Agnew

Do we want to be like Jesus? I really struggle with these things sometimes. Our society has really lost sight of who He really is, that it's easy to mix in with the crowd and what they think He looks like or is. This song has really touched my heart this week so I thought I'd share the lyrics:

Which Jesus do you follow? Which Jesus do you serve?
If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, then why do you look so much like the world?
Cause my Jesus bled and died
He spent His time with thieves and liars.
He loved the poor and accosted the arrogant.
So which one do you want to be?

Blessed are the poor in spirit.
Or do we pray to be blessed with the wealth of this land?
Blessed are they that hunger and thirst for righteousness.
Or do we ache for another taste of this world of shifting sand?

Cause my Jesus bled and died for my sins.
He spent His time with thieves and sluts and liars.
He loved the poor and accosted the rich.
So which one do you want to be?

Who is this that you follow, this picture of the American dream?
If Jesus was here would you walk right by on the other side
or fall down and worship at His holy feet?
Pretty blue eyes and curly brown hair and a clear complexion;
is how you see Him as He dies for Your sins.
But the Word says He was battered and scarred, or did you miss that part?
Sometimes I doubt we'd recognize Him.

Cause my Jesus bled and died.
He spent His time with thieves and the least of these
He loved the poor and accosted the comfortable, so which one do you want to be?
Cause my Jesus would never be accepted in my church;
The blood and dirt on His feet would stain the carpet.
But He reaches for the hurting and despised the proud,
I think He'd prefer Cherry St. to the stained glass crowd.
And I know that He can hear me if I cry out loud,
I want to be like my Jesus!

I want to be like my Jesus!
Not a posterchild for American prosperity, but like my Jesus.
You see I'm tired of living for success and popularity.
I want to be like my Jesus, but I'm not sure what that means to be like You Jesus.
Cause You said to live like You, love like You, but then You died for me.
Can I be like You Jesus? I want to be like my Jesus.

What do you think? ~K

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I struggle with this as well sometimes... not so much in action but in reaction... like when I get cut off on the road, or when someone is just a rude inconsiderate person.